About Us

Welcome to Country Outlet, specialists of Quality Country Clothing.

We have excellent relationships with our suppliers and as such we can offer very competitive prices across the whole range of our products and services. We place a great emphasis on training and experience and as such you will find our staff friendly, helpful and informed.

We first started by selling Agricultural parts and machinery in 1995 and later progressed to the sale of Country Clothes and foot wear. The Country Outlet site was set up in 2006 to cater for a wider audience and was very successful to the point of us opening a new outlet at Pot House Hamlet in Silkstone near Barnsley.

In the meantime we are concentrating on expanding our internet sales and opperating from out of our warehouse,however, our phone number remains the same. This business will continue to be called Country Outlet and only selling Country Clothes and foot wear, read on to find information about the brands we stock.

Hoggs of Fife

Opened for business in 1888 making fine country footwear. Today, we offer the most authoritative range of country clothing and footwear, available from a single supplier, in Great Britain and Ireland. The company remains in founding family ownership and, throughout more than a century, has stayed true to its values of providing quality products that are fit for purpose and which represent great value for money. Ours is the only brand dedicated to the clothing and footwear needs of the agricultural community and country professionals at large. From there modern warehouse and office facilities in the Kingdom of Fife they maintain a full ‘instock’ service on all products.

Their range naturally divides into three parts: Hunting & Shooting Wear under the Field Pro brand, Classic Country wear which is marketed under the Hoggs of Fife label and Workwear products which are branded Hoggs Professional.

A brief history of the Harris Tweed jacket

'Harris Tweed' is made by crofters in their own homes in the Outer Hebrides Islands of Harris, Lewis, Uist and Barra off the Scottish coast and only material made on these Islands can be called 'Harris Tweed'.

An Act of Parliament in 1933 decreed that only those living on the islands could claim to make, or use the name of' 'Harris Tweed'. Today it is still hand woven in their homes from 100% pure virgin wool, dyed and spun in the Outer Hebrides.

About Jack Murphy of Dublin

As the clothing market becomes more consuming the desire to be different continues to grow and so does the Jack Murphy Brand. Whether you are unwinding on the hills, strolling along the street or relaxing in total tranquillity, the Jack Murphy range of clothing will have something for the discerning customer.

With the attention to detail the design team has once again succeeded with this clothing range. With the small touches, up to date colours and quality materials the Jack Murphy range of garments offer the retailer a superb product at competitive prices.

About Viyella

The name Viyella is based on the unusually-named valley road, Via Gellia, (the A5012) near Matlock, where in 1890 Hollins & Co acquired a mill used for the early production of Viyella. Hollins had started business in 1784 in Pleasley, about 20 miles away on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border. Later their offices were at Viyella House in Nottingham.

After a merger in 1961, Hollins became Viyella International, led by Joe Hyman, who in the next few years acquired a series of related companies, with Viyella growing to be one of the biggest textile businesses in the UK, owning 40 factories across the country. After a few years as Carrington Viyella and then Vantona Viyella, the company owning the brand became Coats Viyella (Coats Paton, now Coats plc), who in the 1980s built a new mill to produce Viyella cloth in Barrowford, Lancashire, but this was demolished in 1999. In the 21st century much of Coats manufacturing (now specialising in thread) has been moved abroad and it is no longer possible to buy Viyella fabric. Coats underwent major restructuring in 2002 and sold off its Viyella fashion retail business (and Jaeger) to entrepreneur Richard Thompson in 2003 for £1, who re-sold Viyella weeks later to venture capitalists Harris Watson. Viyella Ladies wear has since added home furnishings to its range of goods. The fashion chain entered Administration on the 7th January 2009 citing "an assessment of the current economic situation and the prospects for the future" as the cause.

As of February 6th 2009, the up market retailer Austin Reed had agreed to buy Viyella for an undisclosed sum.

About Alan Paine Clothing

In 1907 William Paine founded this famous knitwear brand in Godalming, Surrey, and named it Paines of Godalming. He taught himself to knit as a hobby, but soon this grew into a thriving knitwear business. He developed some of the very first cable-knit sweaters ever produced, selling these to local cricket clubs. 1920s Cable-knit sweaters were increasing in popularity at this time. It was in this decade that Alan Paine's most famous unofficial patron, the Prince of Wales (later to become Edward VIII) ordered his own personalised sweaters, finished in his regimental colours. 1930s Joan Lycett, the women's tennis player, is shown here in an Alan Paine cardigan. She was the first woman to play at Wimbledon without stockings! 1942 By the outbreak of the Second World War, Paines had gained such an unrivalled reputation for the quality of its workmanship that the company was commissioned to make woollen sweaters for Britain's armed forces, particularly the Navy. By 1942, the Alan Paine workforce had grown to 400 staff members in Godalming and 200 in Wales. 1960s Frank L. Savage was appointed US representative, a turning point and a relationship that spanned four decades. By the early 1960s sound trading relationships had been established with all the major US department stores, notably Bloomingdales, Macy’s, Neiman Marcus and Brooks Brothers. 2000s Following development in the European market as an export business from the 1970s, Alan Paine opened two of its own stores in Rome, Italy in the 2000s. These stores are located in the historic centre of Rome, one in Piazza Pasquino and the other in Campo Marzio. 2004 Alan Paine takes the brand back to its roots - opening a store in Godalming.